Well, it has happened! I have received my first “award” as a blogger. Okay, really it’s kind of a fun little game/award/sharing kind of thing, but I am over the moon about it! (It means someone besides my husband and my mom has actually read my blog. To tell you the truth, I’m not sure my mom has read it yet. And I’m pretty sure hubby only reads it to make sure I’m not exposing and deep dark secrets.)
A gal I don’t even know, but who writes a really cute “mommy blog” called Mommyhooddom, nominated my little blog here for this award. How cool is that? Thank you, Jennifer! Seriously…go check out her blog if you have small children (or even if you don’t but need a reminder or a warning about what it is like to have small children!)
Anyway, this award is called the Liebster Award. It’s a way for up-and-coming bloggers to share, connect, and learn more about each other.
In order to accept a Liebster Award, here’s how it works:
1. Thank your Liebster Blog Award presenter on your blog and answer the questions they presented. Check.
2. Link back to the blogger who awarded you. Check.
3. Copy & paste the pink Liebster Award logo to your blog. Check.
4. Nominate 5 blogs to receive the award who have less than 3,000 followers. Create a new list of 11 questions for them. Check.
5. Inform them of their nomination. Check.
So, here are the answers to the questions I was asked. (Don’t judge me.)
1. What’s your favorite animal and why? Goat. Now stick with me here. My daughters raised lambs and goats for 4-H to sell at the county fair. The goat was as sweet as any dog I’ve ever had (and I’ve had some very sweet dogs), but it was an outdoor animal (yay for no fur to vacuum!) and having to bottle feed him as a baby…in the winter in Alaska, mind you…and raise him really taught my daughter a lot about responsibility and caring for those weaker than herself. He was as loyal as any Labrador Retriever and had a way of calming everyone in the family when we went outside to take care of him after school or work.
2. Do you cry when a sad song comes on the radio? Which song(s)? Only for a few days out of the month. And then it is the sloppy, ugly, snotty cry. I don’t do the cute little “tear at the corner of my eye” thing. I’m part Irish and part Italian, for Pete’s sake! The songs change as my life changes. Nowadays I bawl over any song that has to do with kids growing up and moving away, especially “Letting Go” the 1991 song by Suzy Bogguss. And as a proud Army wife, the Star-Spangled Banner gets me every time (except for when celebrities slaughter it, which has me spew tears of fury!)
3. What do you want people to say about you at your funeral? Tough one here. I want people to say that I was an example to them of a woman who really lived her life rather than just existing. I want to be known as someone who worked hard, loved harder, and made a difference not only in her family, but in the world.
4. What has been your top professional or personal accomplishment to date? This one is going to make me cry. I could say the ever-politically-correct “Oh, my children are my greatest accomplishment.” And they are, in a sense. Without my children or husband, nothing else I accomplish will matter. But I, like most women I know, have a desire to accomplish something beyond the realm of family. Probably my greatest one to date is running the Army 10-miler in Washington D.C. last year (running the whole way) and finishing in the top half of my age group.
5. How much money could you spend at the mall in one day? What would you buy? Ugh. I hate shopping…especially at a mall. Still, if I had it to spend, I could easily spend thousands of dollars on home décor, high end clothing, shoes, and electronics. And then I would hit the brew pub at the end of the mall and drown my buyer’s remorse in a pint or four of Guinness.
6. Do you floss every day? Because I hope my dentist will someday read this blog, I am going to plead the fifth.
7. Describe your ideal mate.
8. Have you ever had a speeding ticket? When, where? Nope!
9. What is your favorite condiment? What food(s) do you put it on? Salsa. Chips, eggs, and veggies.
10. How did you REALLY feel when you found out you WON the LIEBSTER AWARD! “Cool. What the heck is the Liebster Award? Do I get cash?”
11. What’s your favorite thing about blogging? It’s my outlet to just talk about whatever I find pressing or important or interesting. My theme centers around goal-setting and achieving one’s goals as a means to live out one’s purpose in life. Obviously it is still taking shape, but I love the freedom. I also love the networking that happens…being able to share my ideas with people I would never meet otherwise.
And now, for my Liebster nominees:
Morgan from Modern Mommyhood
Constance Smith from The Foodie Army Wife
Heather McCoubrey from Romantic Escapes
Dawn Yanek from Momsanity
and The Mom in Black (whose name I don’t know!)
Alright folks, here are your questions:
1. What is your favorite adult beverage?
2. What is one thing you would like to study/learn that you haven’t done yet?
3. Where would you like to visit and who would you take with you?
4. What is your favorite book?
5. How did you get into blogging?
6. What social issue is most important to you?
7. What did you want to do with your life when you were 16?
8. What is one talent do you have that would surprise your friends and family?
9. Do you speak any other languages than English? If so, which one(s)?
10. What are you afraid of and why?
11. Boxers or briefs?